Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is an active ingredient derived either from the hemp or marijuana plant. Pure unfiltered CBD oil, extracted from the stalks, seeds and flower of, has a taste that is described as nutty, earthy or grassy. Many consumers and medical patients report several positive health effects after taking CBD oil, such as feeling of relaxation and calmness.
These effects are contingent on several factors, including the type of CBD product, the CBD dosage, and individual-specific factors. According to the World Health Organization there is no evidence CBD oil has any dependence potential nor it is associated with any serious health side effects. The only proven health benefit for CBD oil is for Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS) and Dravet syndrome (which are two forms of epilepsy). Other possible health benefits that CBD oil may include are:
- Reducing various types of acne thanks to its ability to adjust how the body creates the waxy, oily substance the skin makes called cebum
- May help those struggling with anxiety and depression due to its ability to stimulate serotonin receptors
- Inflammatory pain, such as Crohn’s disease
- Reduce muscle-spasticity in multiple sclerosis
- Relieve neuropathic pain such as fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis
- Insomnia- CBD oil helps regulate cortisol, a stress hormone, which has a significant impact on non-REM sleep cycles. A large case series review found that CBD oil is beneficial for anxiety- related disorders and may increase in sleep quality
- Alleviate Cancer-Related Symptoms such nausea, pain and poor appetite
- Heart health – CBD’s anti- inflammatory and antioxidative properties may be able to reduce risk factors that can lead to high blood pressure and stroke
- May significantly improve symptoms in animals. Recent studies have shown that CBD is particularly beneficial for dogs. It may reduce anxiety, seizures, pain, and inflammation in dogs, and it can also improve their skin conditions.
- May help lessen the visible signs of aging by counteracting free-radical damage and reducing the look of inflammation
- Enhance and stimulate hair growth through scalp’s absorption of the main fatty acids
- Boost immune system
- May contain certain terpenes that act as a natural antifungal by killing off or decreasing the growth of fungal cells.